Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Artistcellar New Release! Kaleidoscope Stencils


Most of us feel a sense of delight when we hear the word Kaleidoscope.  If you're like me it takes you back to childhood with those tacky little paper/plastic kaleidoscopes that you could purchase at the 5 & Dime store.  The newest release from Artistcellar is called Kaleidoscope and is a series designed by mixed media artist Cecilia Swatton.  There are four stencils in the series:  Trillium, Sunflower, Black Orchid and Lily.


                product image       product image    product image     product image




 I am constantly challenged when it comes to keeping track of all my stencils so I make small books with either the stencils in the book (stashed in clever pockets) or at least samples of what they look like.  I chose to do a "sample" book project so I can have a quick visual of these tiny gems for future projects.

Samples from Kaleidoscope Stencils

Here is my process if you'd like to see it.  First I start by cutting up my Art Cards from a large piece of water color paper.  Each one measures 4" by 4".



After I have these cut I decided just to spray Dylusions Spray inks using a different stencil and colors for each card.


These could be highly decorated, just like an ATC, but I decided to keep them simple.  I only inked the edges with coordinating colors and glued them into my prepared, simply folded book.



I had intended to leave the book simply white to mimic a wall in an art gallery but then I couldn't resist adding a few stamped images from Dina Wakley's newest collection.

To finish off my practical sample book I added the names of the stencils just written with a Fude Ball pen on or around the stenciled images.  My folded book has room for many more Art Cards with stencil samples on them.  I'll keep sharing it with you as I go along filling it up.  When it is full then I will do the front and back covers.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  There are some pretty amazing projects on the Artistcellar blog this week showing additional ways to use these stencils.  Oh!  And there is a blog hop taking place in which you can win your own set of these fun stencils.  I've posted the blog hop list for you here in the event you want to give it a try.  Here is the message from Lisa at Artistcellar:
Now the good part… join us this coming week for a blog hop with some awesome artists! Everyone will be featuring Kaleidoscope and every stop will be giving away a FREE set of stencils to a lucky winner. Read each blog for the details, for this one, just leave a comment – you can tell me what they remind you of, how you would use them, what is your favorite technique you would use with them. I will close comments Nov. 1st here. Each stop will be announced on our FB page the next 7 days.
October 25th – Lisa Cousineau, Artistcellar www.artistcellar.com/wp  <Kickoff!
October 26th – Effy Wild – http://effywild.com/
October 27th – Lisa Chin – http://somethingcleveraboutnothing.blogspot.com/
October 28th – Cheryl Sleboda – http://www.blog.muppin.com
October 29th – Paula Phillips – http://www.journalartista.com/
October 30th – Cindy Powell – http://cynthiapowell.blogspot.com/
October 31st – Cecilia Swatton – http://ceciliaswatton.blogspot.com

Until next week, take care.  Big hugs ~ Renee

10 comments:

  1. Gosh, how organised. I love the look of this booklet with the graphic-type designs in the lovely clear colours, with the stencilled designs and your added extra patterns. It's miles better than some of the "arty" Artists books we see at exhibitions.
    I don't normally comment on give-aways so can you just read this as a normal comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, what a cool idea for keeping those stencils at bay! thanks for sharing the tip- I might just have to make a few!! Love those new stencils too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for being totally organized AND the added pleasure of artistic storage to boot. Sure beats my dump drawer where they all get caught up with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great stencils...so many uses! LOVE the colors you used...so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your stencil "samplers," Renee! I used to buy only 12x12 stencils, and kept them in an unused scrapbook album. Now that I appreciate the smaller sizes (I have some new ones from Seth Apter that measure only 4" x 4"), I have been in a bit of a quandary as to how to store them. Love your idea--and the new stencils!! Thanks for sharing both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a super way to store your stencils - organized and beautiful visually all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How stunning they are.
    They looked sensational simply as a design on the art card but then assembled in your book, oh my goodness, they transform into what could be a beautiful book to display in any home.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your fabulous book, Renee! I used to love my kaleidoscope, kept me amused for ages! I would sponge Distress Inks over the stencils. If I had any sprays, I'd spray them (can you believe I don't have any?)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant use of the stencils, love the fabby colours.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have well done to keep them simple Renee... they are even more gorgeous! Fabulous book, stencils and colors!!! Hugs, Coco x

    ReplyDelete