Thursday, May 19, 2016

A Coloring class/party at my house! Plus the new Coloring Studio Summer Book is out!!

Now that we are a little more settled in here (not totally but almost) I decided it was time to have a coloring book party at my house.  A new friend of mine is organizing a craft party once a month encouraging others to teach something crafty that they think the group might enjoy.  What better thing to introduce than the new coloring book craze and different mediums that can be used.  It is also fun to share interesting ways to enhance the finished pages using stencils, etc. for the backgrounds.  If you are thinking of hosting a party like this you can see how simple it can be and still be an amazing experience for everyone.  WARNING!  Lots of photos to follow, bring the appropriate drink if you choose to continue.

We colored the owl page by artist Crystal Brashear found on page 65 in the Summer Edition of The Coloring Studio published by Somerset Studio


There were 25 people here and I just set up card tables since my dining tables can't handle that many.  I set out crayons, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, chalks, Distress Markers, Memento Markers, cotton balls, Q-tips and desserts.  I made an easy, simplified version of a Strawberry Trifle (my thanks to Pinterest for the recipe) and other light goodies, along with coffee, soft drinks and of course, ice tea, this is the South after all.



Assorted cookies, banana bread, light cake slices with frosting and Strawberry Trifle just set out on a self serve buffet table


The majority of the ladies had never done any type of art like this before, a few already love coloring books and were happy to see new techniques that they can easily use.  The youngest girls present were about 13 and the oldest ones were in their 80's, with quite a few ages in between.  We colored for about 3 hours and just enjoyed getting to know one another.  It was so fun!  I'd love to share some of their delightful art with you. So many were talking about framing their pages, that makes my heart glad.










I'd love to see this one completed.  Isn't it AMAZING?!
Obviously not her first rodeo.
I hope you enjoyed having a sneak peek at the party showcasing the new coloring book and just one of its amazing pages.  I am delighted to say that I do have a project in the book too.  It is always a privilege to be featured in any Stampington publication.  My article is on pages 98-100 and looks like this:



Sorry for such a long post.  Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you are coloring too.
Hugs ~ Renee

8 comments:

  1. Love this Renee! I'm so glad you had a coloring party and thanks for the nod to The Coloring Studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, Renee! I wish I could of dropped by to witness and participate in this rainbow party~
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Congrats!!! I can't wait to see your coloring article~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never imagined there'd be classes for coloring. But I can certainly see why they are needed! What great ideas for a variety of coloring tools and creating backgrounds. I find what you've done with your coloring is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only does your buffet of desserts look amazing, but the buffet of supplies, too. What a great idea. Glad it was fun.. congrats on the mag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much fun Renee!! Good for my friend!!
    Everything in your post is so inviting, from your dessert table to the page chosen and from your lovely words on how delightful it was to meet and color with everyone!
    Wish we lived closer "(
    hugs,Jackie ")

    ReplyDelete
  7. how fun that would be to just sit and colour whilst trying out different products!! love love love your project in the magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee, This is absolutely wonderful - how fabulous that you managed to organise such an event! The Coloring Studio might well want this occasion to feature in a future issue. I haven't had a chance to take a proper look but by sheer luck, I managed to get my hands on the first issue - on Ebay.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete