Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let them eat cake!

I love coconut cake, as does my neighbor.  I really don't know anyone who doesn't like it.  I have made several versions but I have found that my "cheaters" version that I adapted for my daughter is the best.  This time I stumbled upon a new type of frosting which I think is pretty wonderful.  Here goes:

Cheaters Coconut Cake
1 box mix of white moist cake (I used Duncan Hines, but it really doesn't matter)
14 ounce can of unsweetened coconut milk, less 2 Tbl (save the 2 Tablespoons for later)
4 large egg whites (beaten) (save 2 of the egg yolks for later)
2 tsp coconut extract

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease two 8" round cake pans, set aside.  Mix together the cake mix, coconut milk and  2 tsp. coconut extract.  Beat at a low speed with a mixer about 30 seconds and then 2 minutes at medium speed.  Fold in the beaten egg whites by hand.  Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 21 to 28 minutes, check with a cake tester for doneness.  Allow cakes to cool  in pans for 15 mins.  Remove from pans and place on racks until completely cooled off.  Make frosting.

Coconut Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting
Combine in saucepan:
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup room temperature unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes, until the eggs have thickened.  DO NOT BOIL.    Remove from the heat and add:
1 & 1/3 cup flaked unsweetened coconut that has been mixed with the leftover 2 Tbl of the coconut milk and 2 to 3 teaspoons of coconut extract.  Add 1 cup chopped pecans.  In a separate bowl beat one 8 ounce package of room temperature cream cheese.  Fold the cooked pecan mixture into the whipped cream cheese.  Fill and Frost the cooled cakes.  Top the cake with a few whole pecan halves.

So now I am happy because my driveway is snowfree and I got to bake a cake without actually eating it.  My neighbor and his family are happy with their annual coconut cake.  And Joe is happy because he didn't have to shovel snow.  Everyone is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment