Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Danse Macabre~ New Release from Artistcellar

The Danse Macabre stencils are the amazing creation of Beatrice Coron, an internationally famous papercutting artist.  She tells her own stories through papercutting.  Here is a link to a fascinating speech she delivered not long ago at TED about Creativity.  The names of the stencils she created for Artistcellar are Painter, Dancers, Housework and Online.  I thought it would fun to showcase all of them on a tissue box and keep the colors to a minimum.  I have included a short tutorial showing how to do this.

Online
I started with a blank tissue box that I purchased several years ago from Oriental Trader.  To make it sturdier I applied a heavy, rough coat of gesso to the exterior and allowed it to dry.


I wanted the finished look to be like old stone with moldy shading like you see on gravestones that are a couple of hundred years old.  To achieve this color I used Memento Luxe ink in the Espresso Truffle color and applied it with an applicator.


I did this with each of the stencils and then folded the box together.  I brought in a splash of color by using tissue tape on some of the seams.  I did all of the sides of the box this way and here is how they came out.

The Dancers

The Painter

Housework

These are fun stencils.  I know someone around here will catch a cold this year and need a laugh when they feel "half dead".  Thanks for stopping in today, I'll be back next Tuesday with more stenciling ideas.  Until then, take care.  Hugs~ Renee

There is a blog hop going on right now if you are interested in seeing the work of some great artists and maybe winning a set of these stencils for your own collection!

September 20th – Lisa Cousineau, Artistcellar www.artistcellar.com/wp
September 21st – Jill K Berry – jillberrydesign.com/blog
September 22nd – Janet Ghio – www.janetsartplay.blogspot.com
September 23rd – Cheryl Sleboda – http://blog.muppin.com
September 24th – Sarah Trumpp – www.wonderstrumpet.blogspot.com
September 25th – Diana Trout – www.dianatrout.typepad.com

8 comments:

  1. hahaha...these are really great stencil designs! I love your moldy stoney look on your tissue box. What a laugh to hand that to someone feeling half dead already! bwahahaha.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these stencil, a must on the I want list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to use those stencils Renee!! So cute! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun stencils...reminds me of that kids movie about Halloween and Christmas that the name escapes me now. Cool tissue box too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is fabulous, Renee! Not sure how that picture of me at my computer snook in ;) I watched the speech you posted, you're right - fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such quirky designs and in your hands an absolute triumph especially in the muted colour palette which is so sympathetic to the design of the stencils, yet I like the touch of adding the tape to the seams for a dash of colour.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Lynne - such fun designs, and you have definitely worked your own magic on them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh fabulous stencils, I really love them haha!!! Great sample Renee, love your tissue box. :D Hugs, Coco

    ReplyDelete