Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Cloisonne Effect using Stencils

It is Tuesday so on my calendar it is Artistcellar day.  Today I made a tag and used a stencil to put some extreme texture in the background.  If you want to see the steps it takes to make this project just keep reading.


I started with a Ranger manila tag that measures 3" by 6" and stamped an image from Dyan Reaveley's collection called "Strength".  I stamped a mask on a piece of scratch paper at the same time using the same stamp.


I trimmed out the masking piece and placed it over my image so I can use Creative Medium Green Iridescent paste on the tag without applying it to the image.


This is when the fun begins.  I placed the Sea Foam stencil over the tag and used a palette knife to apply the CM Green paste onto most of the tag.  When I had applied an ample coating of the paste, I lifted the stencil straight up so I wouldn't smear it and discarded the masking piece.  To maximize the texture I poured Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel powder onto the paste and melted it with my heat gun.  Now I have texture similar to cloisonne!



You can see how the light plays off of the iridescence of the paste but now I'm going to add more color.  I colored Metallic Gelatos all over the back ground.


The Metallic Mint and Blueberry Gelatos are easily blended with your finger but I chose to use a baby wipe to activate and blend the colors.  When this was to my satisfaction I inked the edge of the tag with StazOn Gothic Purple ink.


The image was colored in with Copic and Momento pens.  Then I attached some roses out of my stash, added some ribbon and a title for my girl, "L'Artiste".  The roses and top part of the tag were sprayed with Sheer Shimmer Sparkle and Gold to add a touch of bling.


Thanks for stopping by today.  I am having a lot of fun playing with this technique this week as I am pretty much snowed in!  Join me on Friday if you have time, I'll be sharing another stenciling project for Craft Stampers Take It Make It Challenge.  I hope to see you then.  Hugs ~ Renee xx

9 comments:

  1. Pretty tag! Love the colors and contrast. I love seeing how you get from start to finish...my online art school. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, You certainly are an artist.
    A beautiful effect and one that is new to me.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is beautiful, you are so talented !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this cloisonné effect, Renee! I just bought some iridescent medium the other day - will have to have a play with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, I love this tag! Great stamps and great stencils only go so far, and then the artist must show her "stuff." I love your "stuff," my friend! Stay warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee, Your tag is just stunning!! I love all the elements used and the way you masked of your gal- beautiful!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous technique (and cool stencil!) but It's your coloring of that gal that has me smitten. She is a joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous tag Renee, love the texture and every step on this!!! :D Thanks for the great tutorial as always, you're lovely. Bises from France, hugs to you Coco

    ReplyDelete