Thursday, February 14, 2013

Moustache Wall Hanging

I love the current crafting trend with all the moustaches, don't you?  They make me smile every time I see them.  I had some bits and pieces of things left over from other projects so I thought I'd combine them to make a cute wall hanging.

It starts out with my Mona Lisa stamp by Stampers Anonymous that I have had forever.  I stamped Mona on a piece of white scrap paper using StazOn Royal Purple ink, dipped her in embossing powder and melted the powder with my heat gun.
I applied some Tsukineko Kaleidacolor "Vineyard 025" ink on a brayer and rolled it across a scrap piece of watercolor paper.  I sprayed a little water on it to activate the inks and blended them together.  I dried the paper with my heat gun and then started stamping on it to prepare a background. 


The background includes some script stamping using the StazOn Royal Purple ink and a couple of smears of Golden brand Interference Gold.  I cut a piece of the watercolor paper that measured 6" by 5" for this project. You can use the Memento inks that match the Vineyard Kaleidacolor pad for the layers of stamping in the background.  I used Lulu Lavender, Sweet Plum, Gray Flannel, Rich Cocoa, and Bamboo Leaves inks.   I stamped a Dina Wakley heart on a separate piece of scrap paper using StazOn Royal Purple ink, trimmed it out and then glued it to the lower right corner with Matte Medium .    I trimmed out Mona and glued her to the upper left corner with some Matte Medium.
Then using Faber Castell black gelatos I outlined the heart and blended it with my finger.  I used a star stencil to apply gesso to the surface of the panel to give it more texture.  Now for the fun part!  I found these adorable tiny moustaches made by Soft Spoken and put a few on the piece.  In my stash there was a leftover piece of cork that I cut to 5" by 1 1/2" and distressed the edges with StazOn Royal Purple ink.  Then I applied some Faber Castell purple metallic gelatos on top of that with my fingers.  I punched holes on either side of cork and ran a piece of neutral colored ribbon through the holes and knotted both sides.  For the base of the project I used a scrap piece of black card stock that measured 5" by 8".  The bottom of the black card stock was punched with Martha Stewart's scalloped edge punch.  I glued the cork piece to the top of the black card stock panel and the watercolor panel beneath that.  Since Mona lives in Paris I thought it deserved a mention with my Stamp Camp "Paris" stamp.  I used the StazOn Royal Purple ink for that.  I applied a few black and white lines of acrylic paint to the panel with an old credit card for the finishing touches.


Materials
Tsukineko Kaleidacolor "Vineyard " five-color ink pad
StazOn Royal Purple ink pad
Memento inks:  Gray Flannel, LuluLavender, Sweet Plum, Rich Cocoa, Bamboo Leaves
Faber Castell Gelatos in black and purple metallic
Clear Embossing Powder
White and black acrylic paint
Golden brand Interference Gold
Watercolor paper
Black & White card stock
Cork
Ribbon
Gesso
One package of Soft Spoken Moustaches
Adhesive
Matte Medium

Tools
Old Credit Card or hotel room key
Stamps by Dina Wakley, Stampers Anonymous, Stampington Script and Stamp Camp
Star Stencil
Hole Punch
Xacto knife
Martha Stewart Scalloped edge punch
Heat gun

I want to thank you for taking the time to visit my blog.  If you have a few extra minutes to leave a comment I would love to hear from you.  See you next time, have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Personally I don't "get" the current moustache obsession.....that said your Mona with a 'tash made me smile;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is just that childish obsession that some of us have to draw moustaches on things! (lol) I fought it for as long as I could. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the mixture of all the mediums . . . you've inspired me to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project Renee - sure made me smile! {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept waiting and then there it was!!!! Bahahahaha!!!! Love Mona's new look! FUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun!!! Love all those 'stasches, Renee, and all your mediums.

    ReplyDelete