Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Map art using Artistcellar stencils

I decided to do a little map art today using Jane Davenport's face stencils again.  I looked through my Job Lot 2008 one dollar map book and there is a town in Massachusetts called "Holland".  That is my daughter's name so the face looks a bit like her.  Here is the finished face followed by a short tutorial in the event that you'd like to try your hand at it.


When I do map art the first thing I do is choose the map I want to use.  Next I put the stencil down and then outline the features with a pencil.  I draw the neck and shoulders after the face is sketched into place.



 I find that the eyes turn out better if I leave the stencil in place and start placing the eyes and pupils within the stencil.  You can always adjust the features later.


After that I start putting the hair around the face using pencils, Pan Pastels and colored pens.  She looked like she needed bangs so I cut some twigs out using a Sizzix die using the same map paper.




I continue to adjust the colors on the face and hair using Pan Pastels and white gesso.




Instead of just bangs I added another layer of paper twigs going the opposite direction to form a crown like appearance.




Then I cut a flower out of some additional map paper using Tim Holtz's Tattered Florals die.  I glued that to her head to mimic a crown with a spring flower popped into it.  I used another stencil called Bodacious Pods, also made by Artistcellar,  to make it look like she is wearing a white lace dress.  I used my palette knife to spread a small amount of white gesso through the stencil randomly on the upper body.


I love doing map art, next time I am going to do a similar face but turn it into a personal life experience map.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  Thanks so much for stopping by today, please leave a comment if you have time.  In the meantime, take care, talk to you soon. ~ Hugs~ Renee

12 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! I loved watching your process. I'll be watching here to learn what a personal life experience map might look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza..gorgeous. map background is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever - I love maps & like what you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee, You are so very versatile in your art- I love it! I love following your tutorials and learning new things from you!
    This piece is fabulous! I truly love it!! and I have to tell you , I love your daughter's name- Holland is wonderful!
    Such a beautiful portrait- so glad you shared! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I love map art and Holland is gorgeous-not as beautiful as your daughter, though~

    So fun Renee! I so want to try this~

    Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very striking, Renee, especially with the lace dress and headpiece! I haven't tried this yet, but you have inspired me to try "mapping" my art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely Renee!!! And seeing the different steps is great too... love this. :) Thanks also for your last comment on my altered Steampunk box, you're right I will cherish it! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your art work! Thank you for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my giidy aunt looove it!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this map art concept. Can't wait to see your personal map. Thanks for sharing her she is just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete