Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stencils Pull Everything Together

I'm sharing a card I made today using things strictly out of my stash.  I'm trying to do this more and more since I have a box (okay, boxes) full of things that I can recycle.  I use water color paper to do a lot of projects on so I always have the beginnings of a master board.  Here is the card I made using paint, stamps, an ATC and gesso with a stencil called Vine (TCW351).



I cut a piece of the water color paper with paints on it to measure 5" by 7", this will fit on the front of a basic white card stock blank card.  Then I placed the Vine stencil on top and scraped some white gesso through the stencil and carefully lifted it up so it wouldn't smear.


When the gesso was completely dry I used a Dina Wakley script stamp inked up with Jet Black StazOn ink randomly all over the paper.  I pulled an ATC out of the stash, it had some of the same colors in it so that worked out well.  I glued that to the top of one of the vines with a strong adhesive.


Then I glued the entire panel with a strong adhesive, I used Beacon 3-in-1, to adhere the panel to the blank white card.



  I applied black permanent ink all around the edges to distress the card a little and it is done.



Now I feel good about this.  I not only used my work "master board" paper but also my stencils and a discarded ATC.  When you are doing your art don't hesitate to just make what you love, enjoy the process. If it doesn't work out you can set it aside and find a use for it later.  Stencils and gesso have a way of tying things together.

Thanks for stopping by today, I'll do another short stencil tutorial next Tuesday.  I hope to see you then.
Hugs~ Renee

9 comments:

  1. It's a great card, Renee! It's surprising how an unloved piece can have a whole new life when taken in a new direction from its original beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a satisfying way to use up this and that.
    The ATC would be a wonderful piece of mini art all on its own but incorporating it into this card with the stencil background, somehow it is as though that ATC was always meant for the background you created.
    Thank you for your tutorial Renee.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool artsy card! I love that vine stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee, I really love the 3d effect you have here- great use of "boxes" of supply stash! teehee-you hoarder you!
    And I really love how the whole piece is so cohesive! Another beauty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am blessed to have a lot of stencils, Renee, and it is such a shame that I do not use them more often. You have inspired me to do so today! Your card is gorgeous, with lots of background interest--interest that supports but does not overpower your focal ATC! Love the patchwork heart on that so much. Using what one has in creating something new definitely congers up a feeling of satisfaction, doesn't it? Mwah! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, what can I say.. another beautfiul art card. You just have what it takes, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab card, Renee - I love how you pulled it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous card, even fantastic!! And when we know the way you did it, it looks even better... :) That's a perfect recycling, I must keep this and your lesson into mind and do more myself. Have a lovely day Renee Hugs, ~Coco

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this looks fabulous, love the blues!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete