Friday, August 1, 2014

Favorite Techniques for Take It Make It Challenge

For the Take It Make It Challenge this month we were asked to choose our favorite technique featured in the Craft Stamper magazine over the course of this year.  My favorite technique is the embossing powder resist.  It always takes me back to when I first began rubber stamping and is usually my go-to technique for backgrounds.  This technique, along with others, was featured in the August 2014 issue by Anna-Karin Evaldsson.  I decided to make a card featuring this technique in the background with one of Dyan Reaveley's girls glued on top of it.  Here is my card, a short tutorial will follow.


I began with a piece of 140# water color paper.  I use this type of paper quite often since I'm going to soak it with inks and distress it in other ways so I need a piece of paper that can stand up to this kind of treatment without falling apart.  I cut the paper to measure 5" by 7" so it will fit on the face of a blank white card.  I stamped my image, a Stampers Anonymous post card stamp, with embossing ink and followed it with Detail White embossing powder.  Then I watched the powder melt under the heat of my heat gun.


When the melted powder had cooled I sprayed Dylusions Spray Inks in different colors all over the paper.  For this I used Calypso Teal, Cut Grass and Lemon Zest.  I blotted this with a paper towel roll, allowed it to dry and then did a ghosting effect with Dina Wakley's word stencil and a spritz of water.  When this was completely dry I started gluing on my image and words.


I stamped Pondering Petunia on a separate piece of lovely (translates "pricey") Hot Press Finish 140# water color paper using StazOn Jet Black ink.  I stamped the word phrase from Dyan's Dylusions "Say It How It Is" on the same sheet of  water color paper and then trimmed them out.


I wanted to give her funky hair so I turned the octopus from Dyan's "Under the Sea" collection upside down, stamped it and then trimmed off the part that didn't fit on her head.  Since I had such lovely paper to work on I decided to use my DERWENT watercolour pencils.  They don't get out to play near often enough and they were perfect for this little lady; the colors stayed very intense.


I used the pencils to color the word phrase, too, and then cut it into sections to break it up and spread it out on the page.  I glued everything in place with a strong adhesive, Beacon 3-in-1 works well for me when using heavy papers.


After I inked the edges of the panel with Jet Black ink I adhered it to a blank white 5" by 7" card.

That was my favorite technique from the recent Craft Stamper magazine.  How about you?  Don't forget that this is an ongoing challenge on the Take It Make It Challenge site.  Show us your favorite technique and enter the challenge with the opportunity to win prizes and the possibility of  your work being displayed in an upcoming issue of the Craft Stamper magazine.  I hope to see your project there!  Have a great weekend. ~ Hugs~ Renee xxx

9 comments:

  1. hahaha... what a fun card. Love the verse! I think a lot of Dyan's crazy characters have likeable personalities. Fun bright colors and a great tut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!! Love the background, great technique choice too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my giddy aunt Renee loving how you created her hair...brilliant! Adore your project :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super fun card! Love the background technique; it is so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me smile every time I look at it. I love the background, the ghosting along with the embossing looks fantastic! A huge congrats on being with the CS team for another 6 months Rennee!!!
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love the white embossing, Renee. I love to see white, but, for me, it just never seems to STAY white--always absorbing surrounding color. You have encouraged me to try again! I love working with Dyan's stamps--both images and text stamps (I have accumulated quite a collection of them!), so this card really appeals to me! Great background, super design, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous Renee. One of my fave techniques too !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your favorite technique!!! You do it so well Renee! and the colors that came out with your Derwents- YUMMMM! Great locks on your gal-heehee that's what I call thinking outside the stamp! ox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous!! And the hair is fabulous haha!!! Hugs ~Coco X

    ReplyDelete