Friday, August 8, 2014

Craft Stamper Challenge::Favorite Technique Half-Way Point!

This is a reminder post that it is the half way point of the Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge.  The challenge is to make something using your favorite technique shown in the CS magazine over the course of this year.  Personally, I still love the embossing powder resist technique shown by Anna-Karin Evaldsson shown in the August 2014 issue of Craft Stamper.  I used it here with a Balzer Designs stencil called Mini Chunky Chevron.  I've included a tutorial to show how I made this 6" by 6" canvas.


I began by placing my stencil over a piece of 6" by 6" watercolor paper.  I used the direct to paper method of applying my VersaMark embossing ink.  After gently lifting the stencil straight up I applied clear embossing powder and melted the powder with my heat gun.  Then I applied Tsukineko Radiant Neon Electric inks in Pink, Purple and Blue.  I applied the inks direct to paper and then wiped them off with a baby wipe to expose the embossed chevron design.


It almost has the coloring of an opal!  I just kept applying and wiping it off until I liked the color.  I set that aside and stamped the Dyan Reavely image called Dependable Dotty on a separate sheet of paper.  I colored her in with Memento Markers and Copic pens, cut off her wings and cut her legs off since she was too tall to fit on the canvas.  I stamped and cut out one of Dyan's phrases and set that aside.


I glued all of my elements to the water color panel and distressed the edges with Jet Black StazOn ink to frame it.  I highlighted certain parts like the phrase, her hat, shoes, tie, etc. with GooseBumps and a paint brush.  When this is dry it leaves a high gloss finish behind and adds more texture to the piece.


I let the panel sit until it was completely dry and then glued it on to a 6" by 6" plain white canvas that I bought on sale at my local craft store.


Just put this little canvas in your office cubicle or your work area at home and that is the end of the discussion, right?

  If you can I would encourage you to visit the Take It Make It challenge and share your submission of your favorite technique shown in the magazine over the past eight months.  There are a lot of inspirational projects made by the design team in the event that you can't choose just one technique.  There are some great prizes to be won, as usual.  Thanks for stopping by today, I appreciate your visits.  I hope you're having a great summer!  Hugs ~ Renee xxx

8 comments:

  1. Your cards are soooo much fun Renee and truly unique...brings a smile to my face :-) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help smiling every time I see this Renee. And even more so now that I know her name is 'Dotty' lol.
    Looove the bright colours too.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Renee. The bright colours really show off the embossing resist ..... great job! Enjoy the weekend ... Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay okay, I am going to try this resist technique today!! Your beautiful pieces have convinced me it is time!! Love your gal by the way- teeheefun! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those soft shades on the embossed chevrons, Renee, and that sentiment is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great example of that wonderful resist technique, Renee! I also love what you have done with your focal image. While most would have removed the legs, as you have done, to make her fit onto your canvas, most would have placed the legs at the bottom to arrange her in a seated position. You, my friend, are never "most" people! I love what you have done...the unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bright colours ! Great idea to put the legs at the top !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. All is gorgeous on this, the background and technique, the colors, the stamps and the way you used them, also the quote!!! Yes yes, I'd love having such canvas in my office! :) Thank you Renee, a big hug to you (and I have a broken finger, so you can appreciate all my comments lol!!)

    ReplyDelete