Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Stencils, stencils, stencils

I love using Artistcellar stencils for my Tuesday blog.  I start with one and just keep on layering for my backgrounds.  I've heard it said that you can't fake layers and guess what?  It's true.  This is a short tutorial with lots of photos showing how to get those layers in your work.  Here's my finished canvas.


I start with a gessoed small canvas, 6" by 6".  I just slather the gesso on with an old hotel key or credit card and allow it to dry.  Next I wiped off some excess Turquoise paint from my brush that I was using on a different project and set it aside to dry.


To add interest to the background I stamped Dyan Reaveley's Basic Background numbers and alphabet with StazOn Jet Black ink.  I needed more layers so I began by placing a stencil on top of the canvas from the Coral Series (ACSET006) and applied more gesso through it.




The background needed a little boost at this point so I pulled out another stencil and added some more Turquoise with an applicator.  I used the Balzer Designs stencil made by TCW called Pattern Strips.





Now it needed a pop of a contrasting color so I used DWM Tangerine and another stencil called Halftone Circles (TCW418).


While all the background elements were completely drying I started working on my subject matter.
I decided to use Dyan Reaveley's stamp called "Pondering Petunia" as my main character and one of Dyan's phrases.  I stamped these with StazOn Jet Black ink and heat embossed it with clear powder.  I colored these with Copic pens and cut them out.


Petunia is a tad too tall for the canvas that's why I chose that phrase and cut her legs off, now she can sit down and relax.  To finish it I inked the canvas edges with StazOn Midnight Blue.


Stencils to me are like shoes.....I don't think a girl can have too many!  Thanks for stopping by today, I'll have another tutorial on how to use your stencils next Tuesday.  I hope to see you then!  ~Hugs~ Renee xxx

6 comments:

  1. Love it, Renee! Great idea to chop her legs off and make her sitting. Thanks for showing your background building process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!!! So funny and so full of wonderful texture! Awesome color too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OM Textures! I'm in love! What a great canvas Renee!! I love each of the layers you used and I adore Petunia plunking her butt down and being Fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this from the "slathering" to the sentiment, Renee! Also love the cheer than Dyan's humor can add to anything. Great texture here from layering up the stencils. Not to self: MUST TRY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I see you are using Dina's paints. I want to get them. I love your characters...and you certainly have talents building textures.
    Cheers-Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha.. Fabulous Renee!!! Hugs, Coco X

    ReplyDelete