Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pocket Stencils Have Powerful Words!

I am using my Pocket Stencils today to create some impact on a canvas.  Artistcellar has tiny stencils called Pocket Stencils that measure 3 1/2" by 2 1/2".  The stencils I chose to use today are from two different packets of four called "Virtues Words" and "Creative Words".  Each stencil does fit perfectly on an ATC but in this project I'm using them on a canvas that measures 12" by 4".  Here is what my finished project looks like.


I began by applying a thin layer of gesso to the blank canvas with an old credit card, scraping off the excess.  When the gesso was completely dry I painted 2" lines of DWM acrylic paints.  I started with Ruby Red.


Then I added Tangerine Orange and Lemon Yellow lines.  With each color I tried to drag just a touch of the previous color down using a baby wipe.



I continued with Lime, Turquoise, Lapis and Lapis mixed with Berry Violet and White.


When the paint was dry I started applying the words using my stencils and some gesso.  I tried to apply the gesso carefully since I wanted the lines to be clean and legible.  I had to allow the gesso time to dry between each word so I didn't smudge my work along the way.


When all the words were dry I inked the edge of the canvas with StazOn Midnight Blue.  Now I just need to put a small metal hanger on the back and it is ready to go.


Thanks for joining me today.  I'll be back next Tuesday with more stenciling ideas to try.  In the meantime, enjoy what is left of summer.  I noticed today some of the local orchards have opened for apple picking.  Amazing!  Pie time.  Take care ~ Renee xx

4 comments:

  1. Love those rainbow colours with the strong words. Fab job, Renee !

    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your display of patience paid off because the lines are so clean.
    A brilliant idea for using words in this way.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! You can make a ton and sell them! Love the rainbow of color and the wonderful words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crisp, clean (not to mention white, white, white) letters, Renee! I have the pocket stencils, but haven't used them since I was in your class! Time to get them out because I love what you have done here!

    ReplyDelete