Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Stampotique Designers Challenge ~ Under the Sea! ::SDC 206


This is the 5th Stampotique challenge for this month and the last week for me as a Guest Designer on the Stampotique Designers Challenge.  I want to say thanks to Stampotique for this privilege, I've really had a wonderful time!

The challenge this week is hosted by Kristen who says "The ocean is my happy place.  It is calm and soothing and I love the sound of the waves.  So this week, I challenge you to create an ocean themed project."

I, too, love the ocean.  I decided to make this a recycling project at the same time.  Most of us have painted a room somewhere in our house and have the paint stirring sticks to prove it.  If that paint stir stick is old, dry and covered with paint, so much the better.  We call that texture, right?  I call my project "Something fishy this way comes". Now in its second life it has become a highly decorated old paint stir stick all spruced up and living a new life as a wall hanging.






Directions:



I started by giving the entire stick a fresh coat of gesso.  It doesn't have to be smooth, the more texture the better.



I used my Gelatos to get the desired oceanic colors.  I mixed Metallic Mint and Blueberry Gelatos and then blended the colors with a baby wipe.



I stamped by image, Smumanha, die cut some sea themed images and pulled some twine and thread out of my stash.  I colored in the die cuts with Pan Pastels and colored the mermaid and the edges of the phrase with Memento markers then set all these elements aside.  Now it is just a matter of putting it all together with some glue that dries clear.




Supplies

Stampotique:  Smumanha and Something Fishy this way comes (phrase)
Inks:  Jet Black StazOn and Memento markers, StazOn Studio Glaze
Pan Pastels
Sizzix Die:  Sand and Sea
Miscellaneous:  Glass Sea Beads, gesso, twine, turquoise twine, Super Tacky Glue, old paint stirring stick

Thanks for following this July journey with me!  It has truly been a delight to meet these challenges using my favorite stamps some old and some new.  I hope you'll play along this week with us, don't forget there are prizes to be won.

To those of you who are aware of my current circumstances, I just want you to know that we are leaving for Myrtle Beach, SC this morning.  It will be a two day drive for us, all of our belongings will be coming down south with the movers in a few weeks.  Our house is finally finished and life can soon get back to normal!  We have enjoyed living in New England for the past 14 years; we'll really miss all our friends.  We're off to a new adventure!

Take care, big hugs, talk to you soon ~ Renee

4 comments:

  1. That's a really cute "paint stick"! A much more fun way to use it than what it is intended for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a totally cool piece of art Renee!! Love love love it!! i never would have thought to use a stirrer- Bravo! xo
    ps.may your transition be smooth and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were already moved. I'm losing it! Cute cute piece here...love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee, a little hello from France to tell you how sorry I am to have a bit deserted your blog, and not supported you very much in your Stampotique journey as guest DT in July.. I'm just sincerly too much busy at the present time!!! Howver I was very happy for you, and you have made stunning and amazing projects as usual. I love this one, fabulous recycling!!!
    Enjoy your new life ahead Renee! Hugs, Coco

    ReplyDelete